Tuesday 18 January 2011

Pencil and brush pens

I rarely sketch in pencil. I like the permanence of pen. I like that I have to live with the lines and just draw over them if I want to correct anything. Bold seems like a good thing to me! Pencil seems to make me hesitant and tentative and prone to erasing. But have seen and been inspired by some lovely pencil drawings recently, so have started to do a few myself. This one was done in a very dimly lit room, so couldn't get carried away with any detail.


The next drawing was drawn looking out of a coffee shop window, desperately wishing the rain would stop. We seem to have had an endless amount of rain and lots of gloomy days where you wonder whether it actually every got light! I read that we are at the halfway point between the clocks changing - good news.


Was trying out my new Pentel brush pen. Have still got to get used to it. So far most attempts seem to be very clumsy and ugly or just plain odd! Can't say am delighted with this drawing either, but is a start. Am going to take the brush pen along to Brighton Sketchcrawl this weekend, and hope that one of the sketchers I met last time is there. Richard used a brush pen almost exclusively, so am hoping he'll give me a few tips.

Do come along to the Brighton Sketchcrawl if you are in Brighton this weekend. All abilities are welcome and is always a very friendly group. Is not at all competitive and is lovely to sit with other people drawing. The link will take you to the timetable and map for the day, so you can come for the day or just an hour. I will post up my drawings!

No comments:

Post a Comment